Uterine fibroids are benign growths of the uterus that often appear during childbearing years. Sometimes uterine fibroids can be referred to as leiomyomas or myomas that are not associated with an increase de cancer and almost never develop into cancer.
Fibroids vary, some can be extremely tiny that they are barely undetectable, but as a fibroids increases in size it can begin to cause a women’s uterus to change shape and enlarge. Not only does the size of a fibroid dictate side effects, but the location of the growth may also lead to various symptoms that a women may experience such as:
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Menstrual periods lasting more than 7 days
- Pressure sensation in pelvic area
- Frequent urination
- Difficulty emptying the bladder
Like many other women’s health issues, fibroids can arise as a result of numerous factors such as:
- Hormone Imbalances, specifically estrogen dominance. Fibroids contain more estrogen receptors, which is why they are more common in women during childbearing ages and typically regress post-menopause
- Dietary Choices: a diet that is high in saturated fats and red meats can contribute
- Lifestyle Habits: such as excessive alcohol intake, lack of sleep and prolonged stress
- Nutrient Imbalance
Many conventional treatments for fibroids include various forms of birth control to help balance hormones or depending on the severity of impact to a women’s life could even result in a full or partial hysterectomy.
At Infinite Wellness, we focus on getting to the root cause(s) of your uterine fibroids and then create a customized care plan to address any symptoms you could be experiencing as a result of your fibroids, but more important to prevent you from having to end up having major surgery.